Tottenham Hotspur Stadium ready to host the first official match

The Spurs fans have been eagerly anticipating the announcement of the date of the opening of their new stadium but the proposed move has been further delayed until at least March. Now, it looks like the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is ready and will host the EPL match against Crystal Palace, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019.

The grand opening date, which had been earlier scheduled for September 2018 was postponed because of continual building delays. The north London side had been hoping to play their first game in their new White Hart Lane stadium but it was not to be. Tottenham, in order to generate more income, submitted a proposal to construct 330 new homes outside the White Hart Lane railway station but the Haringey’s council delay in making a decision affected their plans to move into their new Stadium in September.

Now, the move has hit further delay which will extend their temporary stay at Wembley.  The building contractors say the recent delays is due to building delays and also necessary extra testing needed to pass the new White Hart Lane stadium has fit to be opened.

Daniel Levy, the club’s chairman spoke to the press on behalf of the club: 

“I should like to apologise to our fans and thank you for your continued patience. The response from those who attended the familiarisation event was great to hear and reinforced our commitment to deliver an exceptional experience for everyone.

We shall now seek clarity in respect of building test schedules and test event dates and provide further information on these in the next two to three weeks.”

In addition, Spurs’ home Premier League fixtures against Watford, Newcastle and Leicester including their UEFA Champions League home match against Borussia Dortmund will all be played at Wembley. Their next FA Cup match could also be played at Wembley if Tottenham qualify for the next round.

Tottenham had moved into Wembley since the 2017/2018 season and the club and their fans will be looking forward to hosting games in their new £800 million stadium.

No additions for Manchester City in January

Manchester City boss, Pep Guardiola is not expecting any additions to be made to his squad in the currently open January transfer window. 

Even though he would not mind having new signings to be able to fully rotate the squad because of the tight game fixtures, he has confessed that the players he would have loved to sign are often not available in the January window.

Guardiola said, “No, no. In January, no window. We are not going to spend anything. I am so happy with the squad. People are coming back, so no.” 

Even though the Blues side brought in Aymeric Laporte last January, Guardiola suggested that January is not his preferred window for transfer business. He said, “It’s much better (not to buy in January). When we created the squad at the beginning of the season it was not to go to the January (transfer window) except we have problems.”

This would mean that Riyad Mahrez, brought in from Leicester city is the only addition City has made to their title winning team since last summer.

Pep Guardiola has now spent a more than £530 million on new signings since he took managerial position in 2016. With the club’s huge financial backing, Guardiola has assembled a team of quality footballers, even their bench is an envy among top Europe clubs. Top players players like Ederson, Riyad Mahrez, Leroy Sane, John Stones, Illkay Gundogan among many others make for a mouth-watering prospect.

The huge investment seems to be paying off having won two trophies at the Etihad (excluding the Community Shield) and still in contention in all competitions in the current season.

Pep Guardiola will hope the team’s trophy overhaul continues this season in order to keep justifying the club’s huge spending so far.